Thursday, October 27, 2016

Emmaus creates Pharisees ... from what I see

No I have not "been on the walk" nor will I. I've done enough research... and seen enough people in my church go, to come to this conclusion. Emmaus and the walk they push everyone to go on cause "you'll love it" and so you can "now understand our dear Jesus" when you become a part of the Emmaus community... whoa back up there. You can only go to events, if you've been on the walk and become a part of the community. If you go through the rituals and training. The talks, no not the study of God's word, the talks, by people, with the human condition of wanting to be a part of the crowd and accepted.

"Pharisee" is derived from Ancient Greek Pharisaios - meaning "set apart, separated"

Guess what, news flash, that's what the Emmaus community does - they set apart their group. Even spouses aren't allowed at "events" unless they...go on the walk too. The people that come back I see are now a part of the religious elite. Set apart from the rest. 

Who did Jesus fight with, oh that would be, the Pharisees, that held meeting the common folk were not allowed to go to... because they weren't a part of the group. Who did he choose as disciples, those that DID NOT become a part of the group that only allowed their own to worship together. 

You are free to choose, I'm just saying it didn't work out for the religious elite last time, and I suspect it won't this time either so personally myself, I'm staying a part of the common folk.


3 comments:

  1. This was so eloquent said I couldn't imagine it said any better. Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, has made going in on Sundays rough cause the "walkers" are lifted up in praise. God doesn't want us to promote pride, doesn't want certain Christians praised more than others

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gayle, here's another reason I am against it. along with others I've found copied this...As John does, I feel that Candlelight is a key "separation point" for the Emmaus. In all that is in print or discussed anywhere, Candlelight is "members only". In addition to my feelings that Emmaus uses some manipulative methods, they are also all about being "apart". I often liken them to a fraternity/sorority. I can think of no good reason - no CHRISTIAN reason - why John could not be at his wife's Candlelight back when she went. One of those moments where the Emmaus leadership really opts to take a hard-line separatist, "us vs. them" stance, and it is more about the secret than about being Christian. I do not say that lightly, and when I have confronted Emmaus and Tres Dias leaders about their rigid adherance to these rules, they often end up shrugging and saying "those are the rules". When I complained about the very same issue re: my wife's walk (I had not been told about her Candlelight either), I was told by some good friends (with really good intentions) that they could have snuck me in and no one would have known. Well, some people from my church would have, but no would have "told on me". Really? A Christian event about which I have to worry about being told on? So disappointing ...

    ReplyDelete